Wednesday, May 9, 2007

A series of firsts...

I've been told I need to update my blog more regularly. Apparantly once in 2 weeks isn't enough. Some people are just so demanding.. Heehee :P

The reasons why I don't update as regularly is:
1. I'm rather busy (yes, really, I am)
2. I like to write "quality" blogs (though that is subjective haha) and inspiration takes time. Heh.
3. Blogging is a joy when its not about frivolous topics and done only periodically. Seriously, do you want to know what I have for lunch everyday?

But anyway, here I am, detailing the going ons of my eventful life in Sydney.

So here goes.

The past few weeks have been a series of firsts. In no order of merit or chronology:

1. I drove an expecting mother (Deb) to the hospital for her delivery. Early on Sunday morning my telephone rang, waking me up. I thought to myself, which idio* calls so blo*dy early on a Sunday morning???

Sarah (In a disgruntled voice): Hello?

Caller (In a lot of pain): Hi Sarah

Sarah (Not knowing who the caller was): Er, yah?

Caller (In MORE pain): Hey, Deb here. Can you come over now please. I'm in a lot of pain. I think its labour.

Sarah: OH CRAP!! (Actually I used more explicit language but "oh crap" will do for now) Alright coming over now!!

Rushed to their house, without breakfast, make up or wash up. (I only changed out of my PJs and brushed my teeth) Drove them to the hospital.


2. Saw a half hour old baby for the first time in my life.

While Denesh and Deborah were in the delivery room delivering Elijah, I was occupying Ethan on the hospital grounds. We read stories, pretended to be horses, ran in the park, watched kids play soccer and walked up and down the carpark slope (at one point Ethan asked me to sing him the Liverpool song, which I don't know. Haha trust Denesh to teach his son such things heh). Denesh called and both of us (Ethan and myself) ran to the delivery room to see baby Elijah!! Yay!!


3. Went to work for the first time in Sydney.

I FINALLY got my work visa. So on Monday I spent 8 hours in a childcare centre changing nappys and putting babies to sleep. By the fourth soiled nappy I was seriously reconsidering having kids.


4. Cooked "Ba Ku Teh" with Deb.

Actually, Deb cooked the ba ku teh. I was just there to eat. haha. We both owe much to April for graciously sending me yummy Ba Ku Teh spices all the way from Singapore!!! THANK YOU APRIL!!!! :)


5. Study the bible with such a diverse group of people.

My Bible Study group at church comprises Naomi, Laetitia, Tim, Graeme, Michael and Trevor. We range in age from 24 (me) to 60+(I'm guessing). We've got an accountant, airplane repair mechanic, retiree, IT person and a Milkman. How cool is that? We're all so different and the only thing to bind us together is our love for God. Praise God for his family!


6. Playing for my church music team.

This Sunday will be my first time playing the piano for church! Yay! Thank God for the opportunity to serve.

That's pretty much my past few weeks in a nutshell. God has been so good too me. I'm really very thankful. There are days where I feel emotionally very drained and tired, as is the case for everyone at every point in life, but on the whole I'm really very happy and content with life here. God is good, all the time! :)

I shall end my posting with some random pictures.




Standing: Michael, Sarah, Naomi
Sitting: Laetitia, Trevor, Tim and Graeme




Ethan posing with his gingerbread man




Deb and I posing with the "Ba Ku Tek" packet!!

10 comments:

damienqiuwenjie said...

wahaha.. I am constantly amazed at how similar our life overseas are, even if we are at opposite ends of the world!

Cheers to April and Bak Gut Teh!

xChaNx said...

yo!

Anonymous said...

HI SARAH! u seems really enjoying over there uh!! haha. tkc tonnes ok!! =) u're really that busy uh till i dont get t see u online. haha. hmm. anw tkc. heard from u soon alright. haha. btw,xchanx is chan sin. haha. =) tkc dudes.

aPril said...

wahahah maybe i should open an overseas mamak shop that sells these asian food spices/sauces :P glad you enjoyed the bak kut teh... real one to come soon sarah! :)

clare* said...

sarAAAA!! YOU'RE PUTTING ON WEIGHT I SEEEEE!! HAHAHA :) or maybe it's the angle of the photo!! OKAY I'M EMAILING YOU NOW!! and i'm not demanding okay. I'M JUST A CONCERNED FRIEND :D HAHAHAHA

Sarah said...

Clar why do u sound so happy I put on weight? haha.. sorry to disappoint, I actually LOST some weight!!

clare* said...

OMG YOU DID?! HOW COME YOU LOOK FATTER! hahaha because you were so skinny you need to put on some weight so the rest of us don't feel so fat next to you HAHAHA. but now i'm sad :( you're still skinny :(

xChaNx said...

how are eUu?

xChaNx said...

how are eUu?

Faith said...

hey sarah! someone's clearly enjoying her time in sydney! i'm having my hols now! Haha...oops! anyway, i've a new blog add- http://faithisfeith.wordpress.com so update your links yeah?