Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Spot your gift... Wow! You can cook?!



This is my desk in my sizable hostel room. I really can't complain about the size of the apartment. Its very spacious. So is my room. Thankfully! :) Doesn't my desk look "used"?? I've really made use of it to do my *ehem* WORK!

See if you can spot the following, haha:

1. The cow photo frame with a picture of Elliot and I. (I can't believe Elliot gave me a cow picture frame, without a picture mind you, and thought it was romantic!!) HAHAHAHAHA :P

2. The little black book that my bible study group at PUNJ gave me.

3. The pink water bottle that April gave me. (I love it ap, but it leaks!! So can't use it much unfortunately)

4. The 2007 diary that Keeevin and Carilyn gave me for me birthday last year. (It's come in VERY handy)

5. The violin books that Carl gave me to practise so that I can be a violinist like him! haha

6. The stash of food that's always kept in my room for my insatiable appetite.



I've also been cooking fairly regularly and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I even have an apron just to suit the role! HAHA!! Its fun creating your own dishes and having control over what you want to eat. I can cook whatever I feel like eating and make it as spicy/salty/sweet as I want it to be (some of the plus sides of cooking for yourself).

The hard thing about cooking for one person is that you have to enjoy your food alone, there's no one to say "that was yummy" haha, so I usually say it to myself HAHAHA (no surprises there heehee) and there's ALWAYS left-overs because its just so hard to cook small portions of food! Its actually easier to cook for more people. Of course anyone with any sort of cooking experience can tell me all this, but I found out on my own.

So I usually cook for two people, freeze the left-overs and eat it the next day! :)



This is (half) the salmon dish that I cooked (I ate the other half yesterday). Here's the idiot's guide to I've-never-cooked-never-ever-in-my-life recipe that I conjured on my own!!

INGREDIENTS

1 salmon cutlet
Chopped onions
Chopped tomatos
Chopped garlic
Chopped mushrooms. (I used the longish mushrooms, I think its shitake mushrooms?? No buttom mushrooms from a can please!! That's an abomination!!!)
Soy sauce for seasoning
Salt
Pepper
1/2 a lemon
1 Chilli

METHOD

1. Wake up early in the morning to wash and season the salmon. Make sure the salmon is already defrosted if it was kept in the freezer. I used Kikoman sauce to season the salmon, though you don't really need to do this, me thinks, cause salmon meat is quite tasty on its own.

2. At lunch time, pre heat the frying pan for a coupla seconds and pour a table-ish spoon of olive oil (it's healthy). Wait a few seconds for the pan and oil to heat up.

3. Put the garlic and onions into the frying pan. Use the frying slice to "fry". Once the garlic turns a little brown..

4. Put the salmon cutlet into the pan. (At this point you should be hearing a sizzling sound, I LOVE IT!! hahaha). The fire should be on low and not high, why I don't know, but its doesn't over cook the outside of the fish.

5. Wait a few seconds. Pour like a table spoon of soy sauce (depending on how much gravy you want at the end) and pour some water (depending on how much gravy you want at the end) haha

6. Add the tomatos, mushrooms and chilli.

7. Squeeze some juice from the lemon so that the gravy has a lemony flavour (DUH)

8. Cover the frying pan and let everything simmer for 10-15 minutes.

9. I suppose you can turn the salmon over at some point. I don't know if this is necessary. But I do it just for fun. heh

VIOLA!! You're done!! Serve with rice and you've got a meal fit for a king!!! haha

Cooking is so fun and common sense. :) Thank God somewhere in my DNA, my mom's cooking gene got passed to me. Yay!

Someone please, amuse me, try this recipe and tell me how it went!!!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!!! unbelievable! i dun believe u cn really cook!! woots! =D continue t jiayou!! =D when u come back, cook some for me!! =x tkc loadss!

Faith said...

Hey hey! Spacious room man! Looks so much more cheery than mine! HAHAHA! Mine's just as used, if not more used! Alright, since I'm also staying in Hall, I'll try to get down to trying out your recipe and give you my verdict!

keeevin said...

HAah.. somehow it looks like fish bryani. :)

Looks yummy! And yes, i can spot the diary! :)))

bra said...

Sarah, i'm gonna ask my mum to take your recipe. horhor... I can't find the black book loh and one more thing can't you just get a tag board my dear? Anyway, study hard. Loves!

damienqiuwenjie said...

haha..

we really are in the SAME BOAT!

I started cooking this week too, and yesh, cooking is totally fun and addictive.

I will try your recipe someday, if I manage to find salmon here. Fish is like rarity here in the land of Bratwursts!

Viel Spaß!

aPril said...

aww shucks maybe you can use the bottle as a eh.. stationary holder haha.. and yes I'll definitely try your recipe sometime, though fresh edible salmon is a rarity in UK! Glad you're enjoying cooking! :)

Sarah said...

hey guys good to hear from you!
Glady - hope u r well! take care.. i'll TRY to cook for u haha
Faith - YAY! try the recipe and tell me if its nice, hope YF people are doing good! :)
Keevin - HELLO!!!
bra - I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET A TAG BOARD! haha.. comment box enough la!! miss you!!
wj - wie gehts? In Deutschland gibt es su viel sausages, kartolffern salat und keine fisch!! haha excuse my horrendous german!!
Ap - haha a stationery holder's actually quite a good idea! i might do that.. hahaha :))

Sarah said...

oh bra, the black book is there!! in the top right corner next to the tissue paper on the book shelf!! haha can you see it???

Anonymous said...

haha you care so funny la!!

Man I never got the cooking genes.. I will ask kevin to try out and see if the recipe is yummy!

Glad that ya enjoying life :P Let me know your australian number then i can call you sometime :P

Hugshugs... study hard and school and church has been fun! Miss you! Btw me and kevin are going for MPR ;)

Anonymous said...

i am quite a B....!man!

Annoymous c'est Moi! Madame CArilyn Pardon!

Anonymous said...

hey!! =D go t www.cbox.com and get a tagboard!! =D

Anonymous said...

opps. sorry. its www.cbox.ws haha. =D

ruthie! :D said...

hey gal!!!! shall go try ur receipe & YEESS! ur room looks spacious. Glad to see u're enjoying urself :) u take care & miss u!

clare* said...

you know what. i STILL can't see the book we gave you! :( you have some supersonic eyes, yo.

Anonymous said...

SARAH!i tried tagging the other time but my comment didnt appear):
i miss you!anyway i know i hvn been blogging cos i'm busy studying(yea,as if).i think you should have a photo of me on your table! :D

bra said...

Sarah Chew how could you miss my birthday???? Anyway, I'm quite touched you messaged ALL the way from AUS. HAHAH.. mui, if she puts your pic on her table, I'm afriad her room won't quite as spacious anymore. And Chew, I still can't find the BOOK!!!!

Sarah said...

Haha Clar & Bra (that rhymes) the book is on the shelf on the right hand side. its half hidden behind the tissue box. You see a little black rectangle book, that's the half of it. haha. can see now??? haha its there la, trust me hehe.

Mui- HOW ARE YOU?? I miss you, but i still don't think u deserve the honor of having your photo in my room la.. :P but yr picture is in the black book, which i look through from time to time!!! :))

Anonymous said...

OMG I SEE IT I SEE IT I SEE IT!! hahaha this is soooo exciting!! and reply my email! omg i can so picture you talking to yourself. this is so freaky hahaha

Anonymous said...

nonono, i look ugly in the book!but you know,i'm much prettier in person.HAHA.anyway,hope you liked the poem i wrote specially for you!dont you agree that i'm a budding poet?:D

Anonymous said...

oh my you get lots of comments. your room looks vv used ;)