Sunday, March 25, 2007

Say what, mate??

After slightly over a month in Sydney I think it appropriate to deal with the “language/culture barrier” issue, not that there is an issue, or have I encountered much difficulty in being understood, or understanding. Here are some of my observations of the Aussies:

1. They are very friendly people. When I approach strangers for help, or sales people in shops, more often then not, I’ve been asked “How’s your day coming along” or “How are you” or “How are we doing today”. No doubt it is superficial, perfunctory formality, but you can’t deny their sincerity and genuine willingness to help.

I give customer service in Australia 5/5 stars, and Singapore 2/5. We’ve got a lot to learn from them.

2. They are very laid back people. “Laid-back-ness” is synonymous with Aussie culture. People are generally unfazed when faced with situations like slow service in check-out queues because cashiers are making small talk with customers, or mix ups/clashes in timetable, eating food off the ground (seriously), walking bare foot on public streets, to name a few. Their common response to such situations is to remark off-handedly “no worries, mate”!

Saying “no worries” is something I’ve grown accustomed to. Good training for patience. Heh.

3. They are very non-judgmental people. Aussies tend to let you be what/who you want to be, without judging you or alienating you. You can be gay, transvestite, Christian, a resident nerd, a single mom, or whatever, but people generally just let you be.

Its good in a way as people are tolerant towards each other. They may not be particularly friendly, but they are tolerant. It’s bad however (from a Christian perspective) as the lines of right and wrong are blurred and the benchmark of morality is subjective - the unfortunate result of a postmodern era I guess.



On a separate note, one thing that I had to get use to was the nuances in Aussie English, though English should be English regardless of where you are.

For example:

When picking up the phone/greeting friends, I’ve heard countless people say “G’day” instead of “Hello”. Seriously. I use to think it was a joke that people would say “G’day mate!” but they really say that. And you have to say it quick too, not deliberately pronouncing “good” and “day”, but kinda like “gooday”. It’s funny.

When asking “how you doing” (like what I’m use to) they say “how’s it goin’ ”. Why I don’t know, but they just do.

When asking you sign the receipt after paying for your goods they say “Can I just get you to sign the docket please”. Yeah, docket = receipt. I’ve never heard of any other brand of English using docket in place of receipt.

And lastly, my favourite, I was in the mall and walked past two girls who were talking. One girl said to the other “Man, my new thongs are really hurting me”. My eyes widened as I stared at them.

In lecture, this random guy went up to my Canadian friend and said, “Hey I really like your thong”. We looked at each other in horror.

After some time we realized that thong = slippers, sandals, tevas, havanas, etc…



D’oh!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

goodday mate! (they dun pronounce it as mate but make it sounds like mite rather than mate...agree?)

how's it going!!???

heh....

you shld drop me your room no, then i can call you for 38 cents for unlimited hours we chat on the phone. heh. :)

catch ya, later! :P

Unknown said...

I'm very used to saying "How's it going?", "How aRe you?" etc. with the 'are' higher in enunciation, as if with more sincerity albeit it's a general question therefore a tad fake. Get what I mean?

Wasn't used to it initially, because well, people generally don't want to hear your problems if you were truely having a bad day so you're expected to say "fine/good, thank you". But after awhile, I like it, it's a friendly gesture and opens up conversations. I really LIKE IT!

Couldn't catch myself in time that day though. I said "Have a good day, you guys." to my French big bosses =|

Sarah said...

hey ettenyl, yes yes i'll give you my home no then we can chat!

I'm GOIN good thanks heh :)

SHINYA!!!BABE!!! HOW'S IT GOIN?? I MISS YOU!!!! how's work coming along? and LDR?? Tell me tell me.. i'll send an email soon!! MISS YOU BABE!!!

Anonymous said...

hey hey. u haven send me those pics!! haha. =D i still miss the pics in ur cam!

aPril said...

hey sarah! i thought the 'thongs' bit was hilarious hahahaha.. can just imagine your eyes going WIDE OPEN :p btw can I have your address in Sydney? :D Hope to catch up with you soon!

Anonymous said...

HELLO SARAAAAA. anyway haha i'm sorry i've been rather busy even though i'm already off work! i'll reply your email SOON i promise! but anyhooo, yeah i don't think i'll go down to NZ la :( haha i MAY be going with my parents to europe. they're still so undecided. but anyway you carry on with your plans aiight?

LOVE YOU MISS YOU!

Anonymous said...

haha. i've received and forward the pics t others le!! yuppy!! =D tkc over there!! MISSESS! =)