Tuesday, April 17, 2007

God is so good

God is constantly reminding me of what an amazing God he is. He's provided for me all my life, and he's STILL providing for me, in so many ways, here in Sydney. I've got so many things to be thankful for I don't know where to begin.

There is a park near my apartment that I go to very often to sit, enjoy the outdoors, read my bible and reflect. Perhaps I'm easily contented, but I'm so happy that there's such a lovely park 5 minutes from home that I can go to. I like my space, and I like being outdoors. From the park, where sit under a big tree, I get a gorgeous view of the Sydney CBD skyline in the distance. The sun sets behind me and on any given day there are dog owners playing "catch the bone" with their dogs, shirtless guys (haha, yum! I DO NOT OGLE) playing frisbee or footy, couples having a picnic, stuff like that. Its a great privilege, amidst the hustle and bustle of life, to take time out to think and evaluate your life. Consciously setting aside "my quiet time" is something I'm going to make every effort to do, even in the busyness of life.

God has also been providing me with friends. Before coming here, I was apprehensive and didn't quite know what to expect. But things have been good. In my 2 months plus here I've been invited to the movies, gone for a weekend away, had lunch and coffee with classmates and had beach outings. Its not to say I'm popular and that's why I've got friends - I've consciously made the effort to get to know people, to understand Aussie culture and how they deal with friendships and conversations. It's not always easy, but its nothing I can complain about. The friendships are still in early stages and I'm still trying to build bridges with people, hopefully some friendships will deepen.

Sydney Uni is a BEAUTIFUL uni to study at. Sprawling grounds, Sandstone colossal majestic buildings, open spaces to sit, what more can I ask for? So many times I've asked God 'What have I done to deserve this'. The privilege of being here, in this uni, in a great city, in a good church, in a comfortable apartment. Why do I deserve this? And I know the answer is I don't. We don't deserve anything God gives us, much less the death of Jesus and his offer of eternal life. But God chooses to give what he gives, and takes away what he pleases and our responsibility is to praise and glorify him in everything.

I've got pictures to show my dear readers but I can't upload them because of firewalls in the apartment. I will upload pictures when I'm at Deb and Denesh's place. haha. (yes, I'm a freeloader. I do my laundry there every week.. haha. I don't know how they put up with me)

One last thing I'd like to share. Last week, over easter I had the chance to go for a weekend away with Naomi (a friend from church) and her mom and sister. We went to the Blue Mountains and there was a convention on the Christian suffering and hope. Good teaching, great people. The one lesson that I'd like to remember is from Philippians (my favourite book in the Bible, I've read/studied it so many times, but there's always new things to learn!!). Paul writes in 1:21 For me to live is Christ, to die is gain. For me, Sarah, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Its a win-win situation. You can't go wrong with Jesus.

The speaker shared this story (I'm sure I've got the facts wrong though, but you get my point). There was an influential Christian evangelist years ago who'd speak up against alcohol sales/production in the States. The Mafia were pissed off as they controlled much of the alcohol market and didn't want to lose money in the lucrative business. So they threatened the evanglistic, looked him in the eye, pointed a gun to him and told him, if he doesn't stop speaking up against it they'll kill him.


What did the evangelist do?


He looked them straight in the eye and said "are you seriously threatening me with HEAVEN??"


For me to live is Christ, to die is gain.

5 comments:

Faith said...

Hey Sarah! Finally there's some life on your blog! you know it's funny how I always look to your blog entries for inspiration? Now now, don't get swell-headed, cause as I type this, I'm in the midst of preparing for my exam paper tmr! And of course your latest blog entry provided reprieve from that! I'm so envious of your being able to sit down at the park and do your QT, but it's nice to hear also that you're leaning upon Him! Since sydney's so scenic, (from what i gather from you), can I go visit? PLEASE? Haha..kidding..but thanks really for sharing about the evangelist, certainly helped to put things into perspective for me ;)

Sarah said...

hey Faith!! Good to hear from you.. haha you're more than welcome to come visit. REALLY!! You can stay at my place haha

good luck for your exams.. will say a lil prayer for you!! :)

clare* said...

SARA BANANA! SARA rhymes with BANANA! I like bananas so I kinda sorta like Sara too! Even though you're really mean :( and you changed my name :( BUT STILL I MISS YOU TONS!

Sarah said...

CLAR ENG!!!!! I AM NOT MEAN!!! haha and my name is saraH, but since I took the "E" out of your name, I guess you can call me SARA haha :P

I MISS YOU TOO!! I'll be back in DEC!! YAY!! then we can go all over singapore and EAT all the food I'm missing!!! YAY!!

hope you are well :))

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, I hit your blog when I am searching for my long lost touch friends denesh and deborah. I have emailed deb's couple of email address but they have either bounced back or have no response. would be great if you could let them know that Yeda is trying to get in touch? I am still on the email/tel which they should have. I was there when Ethan was born and I can't believe he's now a little grown up in those pictures. that's about the time we last kept contact.

love in christ
Yeda