Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Some things that I will NOT miss about Singapore

The disturbing trend of people not giving up their seats on buses and the MRT to people who need it more than them has been around for awhile. I get really riled and agitated when people don't graciously take the inititive to give up their seats to the elderly or pregnant ladies.

On the MRT on my way home today, I had to give up my seat not once, not twice, but THREE times to the more needy. Not that I'm complaining (or trying to show off my charitable side) - I'm more than happy to stand and let someone else sit. What irked me was that no one else bothered to offer their seats!!

There were two secondary school students (from a relatively renowned school, though school, class or soci-economic background is not an excuse for ungraciousness) who were standing, and next to them was an old man who was so obviously struggling to stand during the train ride. (At this point I had already given my seat up and therefore, had no seat to give)

Two girls alighted at the next stop, leaving two empty seats. The two secondary boys, instead of alerting the old man to the seat, dashed to the vacated seats saying to one another "Ah! seats, sit sit, lets take a seat!!"

I was absolutely disgusted!!

What's troubling is that this is not an isolated incident! IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!!

What's the point of Singapore progressing so quickly, with our economy (supposedly) growing leaps and bounds, when society in general is completely apathetic to the needs of the elderly in simple day to day situations?

When I become a full blown teacher, I'm going to make sure the students in my class are taught generousity and graciousness and hopefully they'll be useful members of society.

I will do the same for my offspring.

I hope my friends will do the same.

I hope those reading this will be initiated enough to offer their seats to the needy, instead of selfishly dashing for the first available seat like its their right to be there.

1 comment:

elliot said...

When you become a full blown teacher ah.... how heavy do you think you would weigh? :P

Don't despair, Sarah - i'm in a much worse situation - i keep losing the race across the Jurong East interchange platform to get a seat! this guy keeps winning - only to get off at the next stop.

Please take the liberty to holler at people refusing to give up seats, move to the centre of the platform, or allow people to leave the train before barging in. Also please feel free to squash any bargers against the 2 glass panels at the side of each train door.

(just some of the activities i love getting involved in back home in singapore!)