Sunday, January 7, 2007

The dictator in my life




I recently read Animal Farm by George Orwell. Though the book is an allegory of the Russian revolution of 1917, Orwell wrote it to warn readers about the dangers of the rise of any dictator, not just the Russian ones.

For those who haven’t read the book the plot is as follows: A visionary speech was made by Old Major (a white boar), who incites the animals on the farm to start a rebellion against their human rulers as they are, so he claims, inferior to animals. Humans, he reasons, cannot produce milk, eggs, pull the plough, etc unlike animals, who can do all that and more. Humans, therefore, have no right to lord over them. He goes on to argue that the animals will be better off ruling themselves. A rebellion subsequently takes place, shortly after Old Major dies, led by Napoleon (a not white boar).

Napoleon appoints himself as leader over the animals after the rebellion, marking the start of his rise to dictator. As the story progresses, Napoleon gradually increases control over the animals, aided by his sidekick, Squealer (a pig) and his guard dogs. Eventually his dictatorship is complete.

This book reminded me about how every dictator the world has seen so far has risen to power only to eventually fail with terrible consequences (for themselves and the countries they control). The one thing that strikes me is how much dictators are driven by “self”. Every action they undertake is to promote their “self”. No expense is spared, not the lives of their countrymen, not their economy, not even their loved ones (Saddam had his sons-in-law executed. Reason given: he suspected them for secretly plotting against him) for their betterment. The reality of the maxim “absolute power corrupts absolutely” was evident throughout the book.

Reading Animal Farm made me appreciate that God is the only “dictator” I would completely give my life to. In many ways God is a dictator. Following him demands our all- he has absolute control of not just my life, but the whole universe as well. Unlike human dictators however, God will never fail and he is always good, right and loving in his actions. The day I accepted Jesus as my Saviour was the day I let God be the perfect, loving, benevolent dictator in my life.

Never in my life would I have expected making a conscious, willing choice to submit to any authority, let alone God’s authority. Those who know me well know that I don’t like being told what to do, that I like doing things my way, I speak my own mind and am not easily swayed. But all that changed. All because of the person I now call my God. With his help, I hope to live all my days with God as my dictator. For all reading this (with whom I share a positive relationship, haha) I give you full permission to keep me in check with regard to this. Heehee…

4 comments:

Edgar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord, for He owns me.

Faith said...

Hey hey! You haven't linked me yet! I liked how you linked Animal Farm to God being our Dictator, I mean I never saw it that way, but in a more political, literary way. This entry certainly serves as a good reminder for me too, even as I study and continue to allow Him to dominate my life, thoughts and decisions! Oh yeah, when are you leaving?

Everbright said...

"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others".

Yet Jesus Christ,
who being in nature equal to God,
did not consider equality with God
something to be grasped,
but instead made himself nothing
born as a man, equal to a man.
Dying as a man on the Cross
And that is why he deserves the Name that has no equal!


Hmm... would have never thought "Animal Farm" would inspire something like that! Cool!!

I do pray that some socialogy-related people will read this and come to consider if God should be their "benevolent dictator" as well ;-)

But even more cool to read about how it is not just fiction for you, and how God and his good rule has been so real to you!

VERY good reminder for a very proud brother on who should deserves first place in his life!

You are as encouraging as Mui Koon is :-)